Two days after he was announced the host of the 2019 Oscars, Kevin Hart has stepped down.
Hart, on Thursday night, revealed via his tweeter page that he would be stepping down, shortly after he posted a video on Instagram saying that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had issued him an ultimatum: Apologize for past homophobic jokes or lose the job.
“I’ve moved on, and I’m in a complete different space in my life,” Hart said in the video. “You feed internet trolls, you reward them. I’m not gonna do it.”
I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year's Oscar's....this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.
Earlier on Tuesday, the comedian who couldn't mask his excitement had revealed that ''For years I have been asked if I would ever host the Oscars and my answer was always the same...I said that it would be the opportunity of a lifetime for me as a comedian and that it will happen when it's supposed to, I am so happy to say that the day has finally come for me to host the Oscars.''
''I am blown away simply because this has been a goal on my list for a long time....To be able to join the legendary list of hosts that have graced that stage is unbelievable."
"I will be sure to make these years Oscars a special one," he said.
But the whole deal took another dimension almost immediately after he was announced.
Most of his critics centred their discussion on a 2011 standup routine, in which Hart said that whenever his then-3-year-old son would have a “gay moment,” he had to “nip it in the bud.”