19-year-old suspected of planning bomb attack arrested

19-year-old suspected of planning bomb attack arrested

 A Syrian 19-year-old boy suspected of planning an Islamist-motivated bomb attack in Germany with the aim of killing as many people as possible has been arrested by the German police, the federal prosecutor’s office said on Tuesday.


 The man, whose name was given as Yamen A., was arrested in the early hours in the northeastern town of Schwerin. Police searched his home and also those of other people not suspected of being directly involved.

“According to the findings so far, Yamen A. made the decision no later than July 2017 to detonate an explosive device in Germany in order to kill and injure as many people as possible,” the prosecutor’s office said in a statement.

“As a result, he began to procure components and chemicals needed to make an explosive device. Whether the suspect had already envisaged a specific target for his bomb attack is still unclear,” the office added.

There were no indications that he was a member of a terrorist organisation, it said. It did not say when he arrived in Germany.

Related Articles


The following 6 pages may interest you as well: