Fire raises mosque, destroys million-worth goods
Items worth millions of naira have been burnt to ashes after a mosque and four other shops went up in flames in Ibadan, the capital of Oyo state.
The incident happened during the early hours of Tuesday, February 20 at the Atlagelu shopping complex, Iwo road area of the metropolis.
The incident according to eyewitnesses occurred when officials of the power holding company of Nigeria restored electricity to the area. The mosque, which was located behind the complex and four shops were completely raised before people could render any help.
An Official of the Oyo State Fire Service who was around when the incident occurred said the inferno was orchestrated by an electrical spark.
He commended men of the state fire service for the timely intervention but admitted that the damage had been done before the commencement of any rescue operation.
The incident led to heavy traffic on the axis as men of the state fire service blocked one of the lanes in the area for them to have access to the scene.
As at the time of filing this report, the owners of the shops were yet to arrive the scene to see how much damage the inferno has caused.
Report by Kunle Ojo