Minister Assures FCT Residents Of Adequate Security
The FCT Minister, Sen. Bala Mohammed, on Wednesday said there would be more strict security measures in all public places and soft targets to avert further terror attacks in the territory.
Mohammed stated this when he visited the scene of the bomb blast at EMAB Shopping Plaza, Wuse 2, and Maitama Hospital in Abuja, where most of injured were receiving treatment.
He described the incident as most unfortunate, adding that soft targets and busy road corridors were now the target of the attackers.
He commended the security agencies for their efforts at combating terrorism in the FCT and pledged more support by the FCT Administration.
He said that security plans were being developed to forestall any attack by insurgents; and directed that all injured victims should be given free medical services.
The minister praised the emergency services, especially the National Emergency Management Agency and the FCT Hospital and Human Services Secretariat for their prompt action.
The Secretary of FCT Health and Human Services Secretariat, Dr Demola Onakomaiya, said those injured were rushed and admitted at Maitama, Asokoro, Wuse and National Hospital by rescue workers.
Onakomaiya said that those who lost their lives had also been deposited at the various morgues in the hospitals.
The Nigeria Police Force PRO, Mr Frank Mba said that arrests had been made by the security forces in connection with the bombing.
NAN reports that police had confirmed 21 people dead and 17 injured in the bomb attack.